The Franklin Fund for International Business Studies
With the generous donation by the Morris S. Smith Foundation, HKUST Business School (SBM) received a gift known as The Franklin Fund for International Business Studies. Purpose of the Fund is to provide financial support for international business education experiences for business undergraduate students.
To encourage business undergraduate students to better utilize the summer vacation, students who wish to participate in overseas summer programs, held outside Hong Kong, Macau, and China, could apply for the Fund. The selected overseas summer program should not be less than 14 days and not more than 4 months.
1. Application opens from March 6 to April 7, 2017. Applicants are required to fill in the application form and submit supporting documents by the application deadline. Incomplete applications (e.g. failure to provide the necessary supporting documents) or late submissions will not be considered.
2. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview in mid-April, 2017. If applicants have genuine reasons for not able to attend the interview during April 20-25, 2017, they should inform the SBM UG Programs Office by the time they submit the application. At the discretion of the panel, skype interviews will be arranged. Absence from the interview will lead to students’ withdrawal from the award selection.
3. Fund allocation is based on assessment of application and interview.
Please download the application form at HERE
(*Late application will not be entertained.)
Interested applicants should note the following selection criteria:
1. Students who are permanent residents of Hong Kong.
2. Non-final year undergraduates who are from SBM and Dual degree programs.
3. The Committee shall take into consideration of applicants’ financial needs.
4. Students without prior overseas experience will be given higher priority.
5. The overseas summer programs must contain business education components.
Each successful fund recipient will be awarded with a cash sponsorship (up to HK$10,000) on the conditions that he/she has submitted the required documents within one month after completion of the program. The required documents include:
1. Proof of completion from the program organizer
2. A reflective report of their summer program experience
SBM reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions at any time and will advise valid applicants if this occurs, as and when required. All disputes arising from or in connection with the fund allocation shall be subject to the final decision of SBM.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is attending the interview a must?
Interview is a very important selection process for the panel to select appropriate candidates for the sponsorship. If you miss the interview, it is very difficult for the panel to assess your needs for the sponsorship. However, if you have difficulties in attending the interview, you need to inform the SBM UG Programs Office by the time you submit the application.
2. Are students’ presentation skills important in the interview?
The panel is not assessing your presentation skills. Students’ presentation in the interview is to help panel members understand your needs for the sponsorship and understand more about your goals and objectives that you want to gain from the summer program.
3. If I am already holding a scholarship from HKUST, am I eligible for The Franklin Fund for International Business Studies?
Yes, but the panel will give consideration to candidates with greater financial need.
4. Will the panel take my academic performance into consideration?
No, we trust the host institution will have evaluated your academic eligibility before you are accepted for the summer program.
5. Am I eligible to apply if I have not yet been admitted to an overseas summer program?
Yes, you can still apply for the Fund if your application for the program is in progress or you have not yet started applying but only a plan on your mind. Please be reminded, however, the grant is program-specific and the award will not be granted if students cannot complete the specific program as stated during the application.
Enquiries can be sent to Ms. Twiggy Wu (firstname.lastname@example.org) of UG Student Development and Career Services, School of Business and Management.
You are also encouraged to drop by our enquiry counter on March 24, 2017 (Friday) at 12:00 noon to 2:00 p. m, at Room 1036, 1/F, LSK Business Building if you have any questions in regarding to the application procedures. WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT!
|Tel:||(852) 2358 7540/|
|(852) 2358 8203|
|Fax:||(852) 2358 3805|